Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Midtown Messenger - Perfect Pattern Parcel #7

I finally finished the bag!  If I wait for 'good' light to take the pictures, not only will my friend never get the purse, it will be sometime in the spring!  Sorry for the not as good as usual pictures!  Check out the post here for all the info on how to get your own copy of this pattern, plus more!

(The strap can be worn cross-body or over the shoulder)
I love how this bag turned out, I thought it would be bigger (messenger in my mind = HUGE) but it is perfect purse size, with the style of a messenger bag.  I did add a few things, but it was still pretty easy to sew together once I finished cutting out all the pieces!

(Open, with embroidery on the flap)
First, I added in a phone pocket into the back slip pockets.  I used the phone pattern piece from the Serendipity Hip since I still had it laying around on my sewing table.  I positioned the phone pocket so the top of the phone pocket was below the top of the slip pocket. 

(On the left is the phone pocket but it is hard to see in any pictures I took!)

I also added another slip pocket set inside, using the lining pieces and randomly deciding to put in dividers.  Next time I think I'll take at least 1" off the inside pocket because it is very close to the top zipper and hard to see the pockets, but I bet they will hold a lot!

(Back side has a padded tablet pocket, front inside has slip pockets)

I planned on doing the 2 push locks, but when I went to install them, I realized one was missing a piece AND the hole on it was cut off center.  Since it was 10 pm and I didn't want to slow everything down, I decided to just do one and center it.  I kind of like just one, it seems like 2 might slow you down too much when you are rushing to get out a wallet, and I could see myself using the purse and only closing one most of the time anyway!
(More of the ever popular black swirly fabric!)
 
And of course I had to find a way to fit in some embroidery!  I found this design at UrbanThreads.com and it was perfect.  (In better light, the colors actually match the red and purple of the fabric!)  Be sure to grab your own pattern parcel to make an awesome purse of your own and support a good cause!

(I wish the writing wasn't under the picture, but it reads "It shall not be death, but a deep sleep of a hundred years" Maybe next time I use it I will just leave the words off...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments and receive feedback! Thanks for visiting!